Medical experts believe that up to two-thirds of all cancers can be attributed to poor lifestyle and dietary choices.
The types of cancer considered to be the most preventable include some of the most common and deadly forms of cancer in the western world such as lung, colorectal, breast, and stomach cancer.
Here are some simple tips to help reduce your chances of developing cancer:
- Keep your fat intake below 30% of your total calories - Both saturated and unsaturated forms of fat have been linked to the development of some cancers. Trans fats in particular are thought to increase susceptibility to prostate and breast cancers.
- Include onions and garlic in your diet – Onions and garlic contain Allicin which is a powerful antioxidant with cancer fighting properties. Allicin also has useful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Try and get a minimum of 30 minutes of daily exercise - Inactivity has been linked to several cancers including prostate, colorectal, and breast cancer.
- Regularly consume leafy green vegetables such as spinach – Leafy green vegetables contain Lutein which may help protect against several cancers, particularly breast cancer.
- Maintain a high intake of fibre - Some studies have demonstrated a link between high fibre diets and a lower incidence of some cancers such as bowel and colo-rectal cancer.
- Eat tomatoes and tomato products regularly – Tomatoes contain Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps guard against many cancers.
- Limit the consumption of red and heavily processed meats - Diets high in red meat and heavily processed meats such as sausages and ham have been linked to an increase in the incidence of some cancers.
- Eat fish several times a week or take a flaxseed or fish oil supplement - Fish and flax oil contain omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to retard tumor development in the prostate and breast.
- Consume green vegetables such as broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, and brussel sprouts – Vegetables such as these contain Indoles which help destroy cancer causing chemicals and free radicals.
- Eat citrus fruit – Citrus fruit is a good source of Phenolics which may slow the ageing process and protect against tumors. Citrus fruits are also an excellent source of the anti-oxidant Vitamin C.
Similar Articles You Might Like:
- Walnuts Slow Growth Of Breast Cancer Cells
- Eating Fish May Reduce Cancer Risk
- Fruit & Vegetables Only Marginally Reduce Cancer Risk
- Olive Oil Linked To Lower Risk Of Breast Cancer
- Broccoli Rich Diets Ward Off Prostate Cancer
- Fruit & Vegetable Consumption Lowers Pancreatic Cancer Risk
- Folate May Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk
- Cancer Rates In The USA Compared To Japan